Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back home in Kenya

After the worst bus ride EVER, I'm back in Kenya. I'm in Nairobi checking email b/c 1) it's faster here and 2) to avoid getting back on a bus for a little longer. It was only 12 hours (short compared to the 24 hrs to Kigali) but was definitely a worse experience. We were on a crappy bus, and we know just enough Kiswahili to know people kept talking about us. Now the roads in Kenya are terrible - sometimes they don't even really exist and you have to drive on the shoulder. However, if the driver had not felt the need to drive like a total maniac, I probably would not be sore all over from all the bumps! Oh well, despite having no seatbelts, we made it safely back to Kenya.

ANYWAY, besides the bus ride home, our trip was amazing. After Rwanda, we went to Uganda. We spent the last couple of days in Jinja. We rode kayaks in Lake Victoria and up part of the Nile. I also went swimming at the source of the Nile. I skipped the Class 5 rapid trip (I place blame on a certain float trip in Tahoe where I almost died), but it was absolutely beautiful. A year ago, I never would have imagined that I would have been hanging out around the Nile River!

I still need to post on Rwanda, but I need some sleep to deal with that one! More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment